Just for the sake of brevity, I’ll only account my activities between noon and 8pm today:
- Took Test Subject V to the new mom’s group I’ve been attending: socialized, played, and empathized.
- Went to the grocery store to pick up a few items.
- Fed the baby once I got home.
- Did the dishes.
- Cooked Dinner.
- Ate said dinner with the wife and the baby.
- Cut my wife’s hair.
Two takeaways from this:
- Being a stay-at-home parent is a full-time job. And it doesn’t just end after eleven hours when your spouse finally comes home. So many of the moms I talk to are reluctant to ask their husbands to help out because “he’s been working all day.” Yeah, well, so have you. Own it.
- There is something to be said for marrying someone who isn’t super-invested in traditional gender roles. Just ask my wife: she got home from work with dinner cooking and got a free haircut after.